Sunday, July 21, 2013

EDM 31 - Something Collected [by Another]

I don't actively collect antique salt shakers, but I was given a fantastic collection of them by a very elderly woman who just wanted to give me something because my husband had been so good to her. When he was a young boy, my husband befriended the elderly lady across the street. All the other kids in the neighborhood were sort of afraid of her. After we were married, my husband and I continued to visit her whenever we were back in the neighborhood. She had many valuable antiques, collected throughout her long life, and she gave several pieces to us before she died at the age of 104. She was 101 years older than our daughter, and we have a picture of the two "ladies" together. This shaker, which is sterling laid over glass, is my favorite of the group. It is actually prettier when it doesn't have salt in it because the light shines through the silver overlay and casts interesting shadows. The silver layer is extremely thin and delicate, and I'm amazed at how modern the design looks...for something that is approximately 100 years old. Swirls are definitely back!
EDM 31 - Something Collected; 3x3" watercolor

No comments:

Post a Comment