Thursday, August 29, 2013

EDM 85 - A Store in My Neighborhood

This souvenir shop is close to being in my neighborhood, and it has been around since the 1940s. It looks like it, too! I drive by this crazy windmill almost every day. Don Quixote, eat your heart out!

If you live in a tourist area, you can bet on one thing never changing. There will be at least one legendary souvenir shop that sucks in the most tourists and sells a disproportionate percentage of stuff that has nothing whatsoever to do with the authentic local attraction, which in our case is the Amish. And, you can also bank on the fact that the year-round residents never go inside that shop. Such is the case with Dutch Haven. But, in the spirit of not biting the hand that feeds me, I am thankful this place does such a robust business because I suspect it's one of the reasons our county weathered the most recent economic crisis so well.

So, cheesy windmill, keep on spinning, and we locals will keep driving past without "tilting at you" at all, for you are not the enemy. You are a friend!
EDM 85 - A Local Store; 3x3" watercolor

No comments:

Post a Comment