Sunday, August 25, 2013

EDM 79 - An Ear

Forgive me for engaging in a little social commentary, but this is a peeve of mine.

America has an increasing noise pollution problem. I'm not talking about cars, busses, motorcycles, or jet airplanes. I'm talking about the fact that it's almost impossible to get away from the constant broadcasting of one sound or another in this country. It is piped into our ears everywhere we go, and there seems to be nothing we can do to avoid it. TVs or music play non-stop in grocery stores, bookstores, and even OUTDOOR shopping plazas. Amusement parks hide large speakers behind every bush or tree and blast you with more noise, as if the screams and laughter aren't noisy enough. Waiting rooms, airports, restaurants--they all have decided we can't sit in silence. Even our churches are afraid of "dead air," and play music or some other audible filler every minute, even before and after services.

It's gotten to where you cannot find quiet anywhere. And, if there isn't enough noise already, it seems like more and more people are walking around with thin, white wires hanging out of their ears, sending the message that their ears are busy ingesting more intentional sound waves. Our ears never get a break. They get constant practice in listening. You'd think all that practice would result in our being better listeners, but I find just the opposite. Real listening is a dying art. I am no better at it either. I am not a good listener. I fear there is no solution to this. Sigh.

Okay, rant over.

I know body parts out of context are kind of creepy, so I apologize if this painting is disturbing. I know it's an odd illustration and perhaps a little too realistic.

EDM 79 - An Ear; 3x3" watercolor

No comments:

Post a Comment