Thursday, May 22, 2014

EDiM 21 - A Close-up Part of Something

I don't even want to think about a world without erasers, because I mess up A LOT!! I need erasers like I need grace!

Based on Facebook comments made about this piece and other paintings in which I have rendered shiny metal or chrome, I suspect that people are impressed by pieces like this. The truth is that it is very easy to get the look of reflective metal, especially on cylindrical shapes like this pencil or the ferrule of a paintbrush. Vertical "bands" of muted color, punctuated with a few brighter, darker bands of color usually do the trick. The important thing is to follow the contour of the metal. Ordinary wooden pencils are good models for this technique. Maybe I'll teach this in a class someday. Maybe....
EDiM 21 - A Close-up Image; watercolor

No comments:

Post a Comment