Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Wet Paint Weekly Workout #5 - Put a Bird on It

The fifth assignment in the Wet Paint Weekly Workout was to paint with paint markers and pastels in the style of modern artist Jean-Michel Basquiat. Maybe it's that I find it so hard to connect with Mr. Basquiat's work that I really missed on this assignment. I find his work chaotic and stressful. I don't need more of that in my life! Or, maybe it's that I don't own or like pastels or paint markers that I couldn't pull off this assignment. I REALLY don't like pastels! It's like nails on a blackboard for me. I found out that I'm not the only one who feels this way in the group, which was strangely comforting. It's nice to know I'm not entirely nuts...or at least I'm not alone in my nuttiness.

The truth is that I struggle with highly abstract art, and the only thing harder for me than connecting to it is producing it. I'm sure my interpretation of this assignment is not nearly abstract enough, but I did try a new-to-me product (gum arabic to make the background glossy), and I tried to be bolder with color than I usually am. AND, I put a bird on it!

I was given permission to try this assignment again with a new painting, but I didn't have time, so this one stands.
WPWW 6; Put a Bird on It; watercolor

No comments:

Post a Comment